Regular Dental Cleanings provide value to Middletown area patients
Daily brushing and flossing are critical for oral health and overall wellness. However, home hygiene isn’t enough. Thorough cleanings at University Dental in Middletown help keep your mouth healthy, prevent oral disease, and detect problems early, when they are most treatable.
A precise process
Our hygienists are trained to remove accumulated bacterial plaque, tartar, and stains from teeth, using specialized sterile instruments. A dental cleaning follows these general steps:
- You are settled comfortably in the treatment chair. A disposable bib protects your clothing.
- Larger pieces of tartar are loosened painlessly with mild vibrations from an ultrasonic device.
- Using finer hand instruments called scalers and curettes, the technician carefully eliminates deposits from the surfaces of each tooth.
- Teeth are polished with a dab of prophylaxis paste applied from a soft rubber cup on the slow speed handpiece, to leave enamel smooth and gleaming.
- Fluoride may be applied in flexible trays filled with pleasant tasting gel. Fluoride helps to remineralize and strengthen enamel, making teeth more resistant to cavities.
- Your mouth is rinsed after each of these steps, with a spray of water and gentle suctioning.
The hygienist notes any potential issues discovered during the procedure, and asks if you’ve had problems. A regular dental cleaning typically takes about 30 minutes.
Your teeth sparkle and your mouth feels refreshed. However, the benefits of a professional cleaning go far beyond that. Hygiene visits reduce risk of cavities and gum disease. Periodontal disease is the leading cause of tooth loss and is linked to serious health problems. Most insurance plans cover cleanings. For those without insurance, the out of pocket expense is generally far less than the cost of dental work to address problems.
To experience gentle, thorough cleanings, schedule a visit at University Dental in Middletown. The number is (855) 908 3676.